– At some point in the mid-2020s, NASA may launch a mission to return a sample
of material from the surface of Mars.
– NASA will launch its Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope
(WFIRST) in the mid-2020s, which will study dark energy and search for planetary systems like our own.
– Proposed year for the launch of NASA’s Asteroid Redirect Mission
(ARM), which will see a crew in an Orion capsule visit a captured asteroid in lunar orbit. This may be combined with the previous Orion mission or scrapped entirely, though.
– Proposed launch date for the first crewed Mars One
mission. Since its announcement in 2012, however, the chances of this ever happening have pretty much diminished.
– ESA will launch its Athena
mission, a space telescope that will map the hot gas in the universe, and study supermassive black holes.
– NASA may launch humans into orbit around Mars
, possibly landing on the Martian moon Phobos and operating rovers on the surface of Mars. They are aiming for manned missions to the surface of Mars by the end of the 2030s.
– Around this time, China and Russia have tentative proposals to land people on the Moon
– Proposed launch for Russia’s Mercury-P
spacecraft, which will perform the first ever landing on Mercury.
– Russia wants to perform its first manned lunar landing
– Breakthrough Starshot
, a bold initiative to send spacecraft to our nearest star, Proxima Centauri, is expected to launch.